The MSF Basic RiderCourse is designed for beginning riders of all ages over 16. The course takes place over two consecutive days. First you will complete a basic eCourse at home which is sent to you after you register. The eCourse will cover a variety of topics including, the different types of motorcycles, layout and operation of the basic controls, basic riding techniques and how to become a safer, more responsible rider. You’ll review the different types of safety gear worn for protection and comfort. You’ll find out how alcohol and other drugs impair your ability to ride safely.
The in-person sessions include interactive activities and practical riding exercises that are conducted in a controlled, off-street environment—typically, a paved parking lot over the scheduled two days. On the riding range your RiderCoaches (experienced motorcyclists certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation) will start you off with straight-line riding, stopping, shifting, and turning. You’ll gradually progress to swerving and emergency braking. Motorcycles are provided free of charge for your use during the course.
With successful completion of the course (eCourse, knowledge test and skill evalution) you will earn a MSF Completion Card that qualifies as a Waiver to the NYS DMV Motorcycle Road Test. Successful completion is not guaranteed.
- You must be 16 years of age or older to participate.
- You must possess a current valid Driver’s License (NYS or out of State) to participate. A New York State Motorcycle Learner’s Permit is not required to participate in the Basic Rider Course however it is required to apply for the Motorcycle Endorsement with New York State DMV should a Road Test Waiver be earned upon successful completion of the Basic Rider Course.
- You must be able to ride a bicycle.
- eCourse Completion, upon registration you’ll be provided with your log in credentials. eCourse must be completed within 30 days of the first day of your class.
- Proper Equipment
- DOT Helmet with face shield or approved safety glasses/googles.
- Sturdy, low heeled, over-the-ankle footwear (work boot / hiking boot) and must cover ankle bone. NO SNEAKERS
- Long Sleeves (jacket or shirt)
- Jeans – Denim or other sturdy material (no holes, no flares, no sweatpants)
- Gloves – preferably leather and full fingered
- Rain Gear – we ride rain or shine
- Failure to be prepared to ride will result in dismissal from the class and forfeiture of your entire tuition; no refund will be given.
- Attendance is mandatory for the entirety of all sessions
- Arrive on time (10/15 minutes early) and be prepared – Late arrivals are not permitted to join the class and you will forfeit your entire tuition; no refund will be given.
At SmartRider Motorcycle Safety Program, Inc. our top priority is and always has been the health, safety and well-being of our participants. During these unique circumstances, we want you to know that we are taking the following responsible actions to maintain a positive and safe learning environment during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation as guided by the CDC.
- Employees are to remain home if they are feeling ill or have an ill family member in their home.
- Participants MUST provide their own DOT helmet, SmartRider MSP will not provide loaner helmets.
- Participants MUST provide their own personal gloves, SmartRider MSP will not provide loaner gloves.
- We will reschedule any participant who decides that it is in their best interest; as a result of feeling ill or feeling they are at a high risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Frequent (daily) sanitizing and disinfecting of all public areas including but not limited to door knobs, tables, chairs, pens, markers, course materials and motorcycles.
- Providing hand sanitizers.
COURSE FEE $321.00
BRC 2 LW
The MSF Basic RiderCourse 2 – LW qualifies as a NY DMV License Waiver course in New York!
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic RiderCourse 2- LW (NYSMSP BRC2- LW), is a unique riding curriculum for New Yorkers offered through the New York State Motorcycle Safety Program (NYSMSP)
This course is an 8-hour course that contains a unique on-line classroom segment as a pre-requisite and also offers a variety of practice riding exercises designed to further develop your riding skills on your own motorcycle. The riding exercises conclude with a skills test. In order for a participant to earn their NYSMSP BRC2-LW License Waiver Completion Card they must successfully complete the eCourse (on-line) and the skills evaluation on the range.
It is designed for individuals that have had some street riding experience and have held a valid New York State Motorcycle Permit for at least 1 calendar year, and possess some street riding skills.
You’ll practice these critical riding skills on your own motorcycle in our secure riding setting. Successful completion of a BRC2-LW qualifies you for a motorcycle license road test-waiver with the New York State DMV. Skip the trip to DMV and sign up today for a NYSMSP BRC2-LW, your fast track to getting your Motorcycle License!
In order to obtain your motorcycle license after 1 day of training you must:
- Bring your own (or borrow) a motorcycle/scooter and use it for the BRC2 riding range exercises.
- Possess a valid New York State Driver License (Junior Operator license holders do NOT qualify for a road test waiver and may not enroll in this class).
- Possess a valid NY motorcycle permit.
- Pass a BRC2-LW Course Knowledge Test (On-line).
- Pass a BRC2-LW Skill Evaluation, which is administered after all the BRC2 riding range exercises have been completed.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- A motorcycle (must have a valid NYS DMV Safety Inspection Certificate affixed).
- Your valid NYS Driver License.
- Your valid NYS Motorcycle Permit.
- A valid NYS motorcycle’s registration.
- A valid motorcycle’s insurance card (FS-20/ FS-21).
- A Helmet- DOT-approved motorcycle helmet (you may borrow one if needed).
- Eye protection (face shield or goggles).
- A long sleeve shirt or jacket.
- Full-fingered gloves.
- Durable long pants.
- Over the ankle footwear (one inch above the ankle).
- Rain gear, classes run- rain or shine.
Course fee $260.00 Please call the office for more details at 845 471 5800 or enroll by clicking below:
Road Test Escort:
Although we strongly encourage to see people utilize the Basic RiderCourse, we also offer Road Test Escorts if preferred. We operate within all of the counties of the Hudson Valley and are able to both schedule and accompany you to your road test if desired.
Sometimes we find that people feel less intimidated if they can have a “one-on-one” forum with an Instructor. Private lessons allow for you to move at pace that suits you best. Whether you are a recent graduate of the Basic RiderCourse and are ready to get on the street, or if you looking to see if motorcycling is for you, we are confident that we will be able to provide you with the relaxed atmosphere coupled with precision guidance that will help you accomplish all of your goals.
Private Lessons $65.00 per hour or $120.00 for two hours.